Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Zembo Shrine Temple
Inscription. The growth in the activities and membership of the Harrisburg Masonic Shriners had by the end of the 1920's, resulted in the demand for a grand new facility. The emergence of Italian Lake Park, William Penn High School and the establishment of Polyclinic Hospital on N. Third Street had aesthetically transformed the northern end of Harrisburg into a place of prestige and beauty. To punctuate this beauty would be the rise of the Zembo Shrine Temple, between 1928 and 1930, the design of which would represent the culmination of Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd's (1873-1937) career. Lloyd, perhaps the City's most prolific architect, was known for his schools and office buildings. He designed such Harrisburg notables as the Technical High School (now Old City Hall), and Simon Cameron School and William Penn High School. Although the Harrisburg Masons were originally headquartered in the Grand Opera House at Third and Walnut Streets, which was destroyed by fire in 1907, and later at the Masonic Temple at Third and State Streets, now the Barto Building, the Masons' Zembo Temple chapter which was established in 1905, would ultimately seek its own building expressing its own identity. The mid-eastern themes traditionally associated with the Shriners since their founding in New York City in 1872 were captured by Lloyd within the context
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Zembo Shrine Temple Marker
of Art Deco styling in the new facility. Adorned by a minaret tower, elaborate tile work and dazzling interior spaces opening to a majestic auditorium, the Temple has long been the stage for famous personalities, events and performances of national and international acclaim.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Zembo Shrine Temple
1931 aerial view of the recently completed Zembo Shrine Temple (center) and emerging Uptown and Riverside neighborhoods.
Circa 1945 postcard view of the Zembo Shrine Temple from Italian Lake.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 17.483′ N, 76° 54.09′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of Division Street and Third Street, on the left when traveling east on Division Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Italian Lake ( within shouting distance of this marker); Old Harrisburg Academy/Dixon University Center ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Harrisburg
( approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Curtin ( approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Curtin ( approx. 0.8 miles away); The Ladies Of Harrisburg During The Civil War ( approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Curtin ( approx. 0.9 miles away); Governor's Residence ( approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
By John K. Robinson, August 18, 2008
3. Zembo Shrine Temple seen from Italian Lake Park
Categories. • 20th Century • Entertainment • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
September 19, 1931
4. Zembo Shrine Temple just after completion
This photo was taken by a family member in their uptown neighborhood, where the Zemple Temple had just been completed. Italian Lake has obviously not yet been refined to the elegant formal shape we see today.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,970 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on April 9, 2011, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on May 7, 2011, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.