Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sodus Township in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Hogue House

 
 
The Hogue House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 26, 2013
1. The Hogue House Marker
Inscription. In 1854 Robert Hogue (1846-1905) migrated from Pennsylvania to Pipestone Township with his family. At age seventeen, he began teaching in a local school. He attended Adrian College, later graduating from the University of Michigan before he resumed teaching in Berrien County. Soon after purchasing 170 acres of land in 1874, Hogue married Mary Rector. The Hogues built this house in the late nineteenth century. Modernized around 1940, the house retains many Victorian details. Robert Hogue held several township offices and served as postmaster and justice of the peace.
 
Erected 1995 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1923.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 3.436′ N, 86° 23.155′ W. Marker is in Sodus Township, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker is at the intersection of Sodus Parkway and South Pipestone Road, on the right when traveling east on Sodus Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is located on top of a 25-foot cut bank along Sodus Parkway. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3361 S. Pipestone Rd, Sodus MI 49126, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this
The Hogue House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 26, 2013
2. The Hogue House Marker
View from roadside of Sodus Parkway
marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic District of Mary's City of David (approx. 4.2 miles away); Israelite House of David / Mary's City of David (approx. 4.2 miles away); Benton Harbor Fruit Market (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Fruit Belt (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Morton House (approx. 5.3 miles away); Burnett's Post (approx. 5.4 miles away); Old St. Joseph Neighborhood (approx. 6.1 miles away); Boatbuilding Industry (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Rear of The Hogue House image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 26, 2013
3. Rear of The Hogue House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement