Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holland Post Office

 
 
Holland Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darrell Harden
1. Holland Post Office Marker
Inscription. In 1848, in response to pressure from the settlers of Holland, the U.S. Congress created the community's first post office, with Henry D. Post as postmaster. Originally named Black River, the Holland post office relocated to rented quarters several times before this building was constructed. The Neoclassical, Indiana limestone building, completed in 1915, was notable for its oak paneling, marble trim, fashionable windows and electric lighting. After postal operations relocated in 1986, the city of Holland acquired the building. The Netherlands Museum collections, begun by founder Willard Wichers in 1937, opened on this site in 1992 as The Holland Museum.
 
Erected 1997 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number 2027.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 47.315′ N, 86° 6.505′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of West Tenth Street and South River Avenue (U.S. 31), on the right when traveling west on West Tenth Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in a semicircular driveway. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 West 10th Street, Holland MI 49423, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Holland Post Office/Holland Museum image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 9, 2013
2. Holland Post Office/Holland Museum
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dutch in Michigan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church (about 500 feet away); Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Third Reformed Church (approx. mile away); Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. half a mile away); Old Wing Mission (approx. 2.8 miles away); The First Pioneers of Graafschap (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
 
Also see . . .  Holland Museum. (Submitted on May 1, 2013.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2013, by Darrell Harden of Marshall, Michigan. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Darrell Harden of Marshall, Michigan.   2. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement