Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bertrand in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Joseph's Mission

 
 
St. Joseph's Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 29, 2013
1. St. Joseph's Mission Marker
Inscription. Here, in 1837, in the then flourishing settlement of Bertrand, a fine brick church, dedicated to St. Joseph, was built to serve the Catholics of this area. In this church, on September 8, 1844, the habit of the Sisters of the Holy Cross was given for the first time in America. Those who received the habit were Sister Mary of the Holy Cross, Sister Mary of the Nativity, and Sister Mary of Mount Carmel. The sisterhood opened a school this same year in a dwelling which still stands a thousand feet to the north. This mission in the Detroit diocese was directed by the Reverend Edward Sorin, C.S.C., founder of the University of Notre Dame. In 1911, the church was torn down. Madeline Bertrand, wife of the town's founder, is among those buried in this historic cemetery.
 
Erected by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number 260.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 46.707′ N, 86° 15.877′ W. Marker is near Bertrand, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker can be reached from Madaline Street 0.1 miles west of Adams Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is accessed by a 200-foot dirt driveway from
St. Joseph's Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 29, 2013
2. St. Joseph's Mission Marker
View from end of driveway at entrance of cemetery
Madaline Street (approx. 300 feet west of Adams Road). There is a pipeline block valve enclosed by a chain-link fence at the corner of the driveway and Madaline Street. Marker is in this post office area: Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bertrand (approx. 0.3 miles away); Parc Aux Vaches (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort St. Joseph (approx. 2.4 miles away); Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J. (approx. 2.5 miles away); Ring Lardner (approx. 3.1 miles away); Saint Mary’s (approx. 3.2 miles away); PA-WA-TING (approx. 3.4 miles away); La Salle's Camp (approx. 3.4 miles away in Indiana). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertrand.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Catholic Cemetery associated with St. Joseph's Mission image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 29, 2013
3. Catholic Cemetery associated with St. Joseph's Mission
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement