Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clifton Springs in Ontario County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Peirce Pavillion 2

 
 
Peirce Pavillion II Marker image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, March 30, 2013
1. Peirce Pavillion II Marker
Inscription. The original Peirce Pavilion was constructed in 1880 on the North East corner of Main and Spring Streets surrounding a major sulphur spring. It was these sulphur springs that made the growth of Clifton Springs Sanitarium possible and which in turn made Clifton Springs famous. Mr. Andrew Peirce, a retired railroad executive donated the original pavilion to the sanitarium in gratitude for the care given his invalid wife. The original pavilion was razed in 1961 due to the deterioration of the structure.

Peirce Pavilion II, a true replica of the original pavilion, was erected using timber frame construction. New Energy Works of Shortsville, New York designed and built the structural frame with old growth Douglas Fir timbers from a circa 1910 saw mill in the state of Washington. The weathervane and red sandstone curbing on the west side are from the original pavilion. Sulphur water from the original spring has been piped to the central fountain in Peirce Pavilion II.

This pavilion was donated to the Clifton Springs Park by Mr. & Mrs. I. A. Morris. The land for the park was transferred to the park in cooperation with the Clifton Springs Hospital and Clinic, original owner of the twelve acres of land, and G.W. Lisk Co., Inc. The other park facilities have been made possible by the Clifton Springs Rotary Club, the Village of
Peirce Pavillion 2 Marker in place in front of the Pavillion itself image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, March 30, 2013
2. Peirce Pavillion 2 Marker in place in front of the Pavillion itself
Clifton Springs, G.W. Lisk Co., Inc. and all the citizens of the village who have donated their time to this project.
 
Erected 1991.
 
Location. 42° 57.81′ N, 77° 8.124′ W. Marker is in Clifton Springs, New York, in Ontario County. Marker is on Spring Street just east of Railroad Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is in park near the pavilion. Railroad Ave. T's at the west side of the park. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton Springs NY 14432, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Phelps Historic District (approx. 4 miles away); Bee Sting Death (approx. 5 miles away); Hill Cumorah Monument (approx. 5.4 miles away); Palmyra Area (approx. 7.4 miles away); This House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Palmyra in History (approx. 8.4 miles away); Grandin Print Shop (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Categories. EntertainmentNotable PlacesScience & Medicine
 
Peirce Pavillion II - a better look image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, March 30, 2013
3. Peirce Pavillion II - a better look
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement