Warsaw in Wyoming County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Seth M. Gates House
Warsaw residents had formed an antislavery society in 1833, and the first antislavery political party, the Liberty Party, started here in 1839. Gates moved to Warsaw in 1844, where he joined an active local anti·slavery community Gates became one of the town's seven Underground Railroad conductors. One of the eulogies at Gates's funeral in 1877 explained that "he felt that duty to his God, who had made of one blood all nations of men. . . bade him to strike as best he could against the fetters on the limbs of his brothers."
Location. 42° 44.457′ N, 78° 8.089′ W. Marker is in Warsaw, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Perry Street and Clinton Street, on the left when traveling north on Perry Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warsaw NY 14569, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1853-1925 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warsaw's First House Mary Hosford (approx. 0.7 miles away); In Memory of those Soldiers (approx. 6.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Andrus Mill Pond (approx. 6.9 miles away); Richmond-Andrus Mill Site (approx. 6.9 miles away); Whaley Tavern (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warsaw.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.