Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Curtin

1861 — 1865

 
 
Camp Curtin 1861 - 1865 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Camp Curtin 1861 - 1865 Marker
Inscription. In memory of more than 300,000 soldiers of the Civil War. The flower of the nation's youth and the maturity of her manhood, who passed into and out of this camp to the field of battle. A united country enjoys the fruits of their victory for liberty and union.
 
Location. 40° 16.945′ N, 76° 53.456′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Sixth Street and Woodbine Streets, on the right when traveling north on North Sixth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Curtin (a few steps from this marker); The Ladies Of Harrisburg During The Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Camp Curtin (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennsylvania Farm Show (approx. 0.4 miles away); Reily Hose Company No. 10 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Simon Cameron School (approx. half a mile away); Governor's Residence (approx. half a mile away); Harrisburg State Hospital (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for
East Side of Statue image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. East Side of Statue
Camp Curtin
Camp Curtin was the first and greatest military camp in the northern states in 1861. It was open territory, its limits being bounded by what is now Watts Lane on the north, Pennsylvania Railroad on the east, Maclay Street on the south and Fifth Street on the west. The land was taken possession of by order of Governor Curtin April 18, 1861.
a list of markers that are related to this marker. Related Camp Curtin markers.
 
Categories. MilitaryWar, US Civil
 
South side of statue. image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
3. South side of statue.
The Camp Curtin Pump.
North side of statue image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
4. North side of statue
The Camp Curtin Hospital.
Statue of Governor Curtin image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
5. Statue of Governor Curtin
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,402 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement