Oil City in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1732? - 1836
On March 16, 1796 the Pennsylvania Legislature granted Cornplanter a tract of land at the confluences of the Allegheny River and Oil Creek, the present site of Oil City.
Clair Victor Curll
The City of Oil City
The Oil City Arts Council
July 20, 2001
Erected 2001 by The Oil City Arts Council.
Location. 41° 26.032′ N, 79° 42.553′ W. Marker is in Oil City, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker can be reached from Center Street (Pennsylvania Route 8) 0.1 miles east of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oil City PA 16301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrick C. Boyle (here, next to this marker); In Memory of Cornplanter (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Lockhart (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob J. Vandergrift (about 600 feet away); In Commemoration of the Gift Joseph Reid Gas Engine Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil Well Supply Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Col. Francis "Gabby" Gabreski (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oil City.
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.