Bailey in Nash County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Country Doctor Museum
the "old family doctor."
Two doctors' offices, 1857
& 1887, restored with medical
& apothecary artifacts.
Two blocks south.
Erected 1973 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number E-82.)
Location. 35° 46.864′ N, 78° 7.341′ W. Marker is in Bailey, North Carolina, in Nash County. Marker is at the intersection of Dean Street (Business U.S. 264) and Peele Road, on the left when traveling west on Dean Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bailey NC 27807, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tram Railroad (approx. 12.7 miles away); Harold D. Colley (approx. 16.1 miles away).
Regarding Country Doctor Museum. The Country Doctor Museum was founded in 1967 by a small group of women led by Drs. Josephine Newell and Gloria Flippin Graham to commemorate the contributions of the country doctor. The core collections were materials belonging to Dr. Wood Tucker Johnson, Dr. J. Meigs Flippin, Robert E. Flippin, and Dr. Needham B. Herring. Some ancient pieces were purchased from the private
In 2003 the museumís Board of Directors dissolved itself and donated the museum to East Carolina University. It is managed as part of the History Collection of the Laupus Medical Library. The museum offers training for the universityís students of public history, education, and design. It continues to develop exhibits that teach the public about rural healthcare. Among its collections are medical kits, surgical sets, microscopes, apothecary equipment, carriages, and nursing uniforms. Reference books and journals were added over the years, providing research material for medical students. The grounds boast a medicinal herb garden that replicates the oldest such garden in the world in Padua, Italy. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday in Bailey.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 7, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.