Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Staﬀord County Tri-Centennial
Erected 1964 by Stafford County Lions Club and Stafford County Board of Supervisors.
Location. 38° 25.343′ N, 77° 24.506′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker can be reached from Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) near Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 630). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford VA 22555, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Honor of Those Who Served (a few steps from this marker); Charles Adams Bryan (a few steps from this marker); English Knot Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln Visit (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of September 11, 2001 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trooper Jessica Jean Cheney Stafford Training School (approx. 1.4 miles away); From Indian Path to Highway (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
Regarding Stafford County Tri-Centennial. Founded in 1664, Stafford has strong connections to events that shaped our nation's history. It was here, at Marlborough Point in the eastern part of the county, that Indian Princess Pocahontas was kidnapped and taken to Jamestown.
Another historical figure also made Stafford his home. The county's prosperous iron industry attracted Augustine Washington, with the rest of his family, including a six-year-old son named George, to Ferry Farm. The future first president spent his formative years there until he reached young adulthood.
Mining and quarrying were important industries in colonial Stafford. Iron works furnished arms for the American Revolution. Aquia sandstone, quarried in abundance on Government Island in northern Stafford, provided stone for the White House, the U.S. Capitol and trim for private homes.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,245 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.