Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Bastrop
By the 1880s, the Baptist church was enjoying a resurgence in membership and built a new structure on Pecan Street near the site of the 1853 building. The congregation continued to prosper in the following decades, and in 1909 was renamed First Baptist Church of Bastrop. Twenty years later, a lot on the corner of Water and Farm streets was donated to the congregation for a new building, which was completed during the years of the Great Depression. Continued growth resulted in acquisition of additional property and construction of larger facilities. By the end of the 20th century, it had become the largest Baptist congregation in Bastrop County.
From its beginning, the First Baptist Church
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12528.)
Location. 30° 6.771′ N, 97° 19.124′ W. Marker is in Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Farm Street, on the right when traveling north on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Water Street, Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank of Bastrop (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bastrop Advertiser (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bastrop Military Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); H. P. Luckett House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bastrop County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop (approx. ¼ mile away); Captain James Burleson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas H. Mays (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bastrop.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2013, by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2013, by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.