Ferndale in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The First California Central Creamery
Native Sons of the Golden West.
February 12, 1983
Joseph Ursino Grand President
In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger Past Grand President N.S.G.W.
A native of Ferndale
Erected 1983 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 40° 35.206′ N, 124° 15.471′ W. Marker is in Ferndale, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Milton Avenue on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 Main Street, Ferndale CA 95536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Ferndale (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Gazebo (approx. 0.7 miles away); Blackburn Law Office (approx. ¾ mile away); "Poppa Joe's" (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ferndale Meat Market (approx. 0.8 miles away); Our Centennial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ferndale Palace Saloon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hotel Ivanhoe (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferndale.
Also see . . . Ferndale - History. On the history of the dairy industry in Ferndale: "The dairy-farming Danes, arriving in the 1870s, brought practices from their homeland. Each small neighborhood of dairymen formed its own cooperative creamery. By 1890 there were eleven separate creameries operating in the immediate Ferndale area. Ferndale butter was considered the finest in the state, bringing premium prices in San Francisco. Ferndale acquired its first nickname, 'Cream City.'...Shortly after 1900 many of the small creameries consolidated into larger creameries. The Central Creamery, located on north Main Street, became the mother plant of the Golden State Creamery, one of the largest in the state...." (Submitted on May 10, 2013.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.