Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Placerville in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Louís Yarn Shop

 
 
J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Louís Yarn Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 4, 2013
1. J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Louís Yarn Shop Marker
Photo on marker courtesy of the El Dorado County Museum.
Inscription. Boarders and guests of the Cedar Ravine House that once stood two doors up the street purchased groceries and provisions here from 1853 to 1856. Proprietor N.C. Fassett sold a variety of goods from beans to brandy, candy to coffee, lard to lead, molasses to matches, and quince jelly to quicksilver. William Burns and Robert B. McBride who bought the Cedar Ravine stables on the south side of the street in 1860 continued operation of a grocery and provisions store here. The building also served as the residence of Burns and his wife, Sarah. After Burns and McBride moved their store to the plaza, Sarah Burns specialized in the sale of fine cigars from this location.

In the early days of Old Hangtown, when Cedar Ravine Creek ran across Main Street from the south, the road in front of the store became a mud hole. Along with the rain and flooding creek the miners habit of mining in four by four holes in the street also contributed to the unpleasant conditions.

Later this building became the home of blacksmith, J. Wonderly and his family. Wonderly operated a stable and blacksmith shop on the south of Main Street near the Bell Tower.
 
Erected by Heritage Association of El Dorado County.
 
Location. 38° 43.744′ N, 120° 
J. Wonderly House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 4, 2013
2. J. Wonderly House Marker
47.803′ W. Marker is in Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Clay Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 585 Main Street, Placerville CA 95667, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Upper Central House (a few steps from this marker); The Druid Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); John Mohler Studebaker (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Vetís Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fountain and Tallman Soda Works (about 600 feet away); Placerville (about 700 feet away); Thomas Maul (about 700 feet away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Placerville.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement