Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goldsboro in Wayne County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

North Carolina Press Association

 
 
North Carolina Press Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
1. North Carolina Press Association Marker
Inscription.
Organized May 14, 1873.
J. A. Engelhard elected
first president at meeting
held near this spot.

 
Erected 1973 by Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-51.)
 
Location. 35° 22.925′ N, 77° 59.641′ W. Marker is in Goldsboro, North Carolina, in Wayne County. Marker is on East Walnut Street near South William Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goldsboro NC 27530, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Company E, 119th Infantry, Goldsboro Rifles World War I Monument (a few steps from this marker); John Lawson (a few steps from this marker); First Pentecostal Holiness Church Congregation (within shouting distance of this marker); Wayne County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Seymour Johnson AFB History / 4th Fighter Wing History Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Goldsboro (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wm. T. Dortch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles B. Aycock (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goldsboro.
 
Regarding North Carolina Press Association.
North Carolina Press Association Marker on the Wayne County Courthouse lawn image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
2. North Carolina Press Association Marker on the Wayne County Courthouse lawn
An article appeared on May 15, 1873, in the Wilmington Morning Star, reporting that the previous day, “a convention of gentlemen conducting or representing newspapers published in the State assembled at the court house (in Goldsboro)…for the purpose of forming an association for mutual benefit and protection.” Major J. A. Englehard of the Wilmington Journal, who had proposed the idea of such an organization, was elected president. The group immediately resolved to make the association a permanent one. Aside from the benefits of opening lines of communication in the profession, the representatives to the convention hoped to institute regulations on advertising, appointing a special committee to investigate the various aspects of that business. The abundant patent medicine companies and assorted other Victorian era quacks were of particular interest to the newspaper professionals, because while some editors refused to run advertisements for products produced by such questionable outfits, others gave their representatives discounted rates.
   The organization adopted the name North Carolina Press Association. More than just a professional union, the North Carolina Press Association served as a fraternal society, as well. During their first
convention, the members were invited by the Atlantic Railroad to travel to Morehead City and Beaufort,
where they were
North Carolina Press Association Marker seen along East Walnut Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
3. North Carolina Press Association Marker seen along East Walnut Street
entertained at the Ocean House. Over the years the Press Association has effectively
offered support to issues such as the good roads movement, improving public education, and strengthening local government.(North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural
Resources)
 
Categories. Communications
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement