San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Company
Loyd and Kalteyer, along with other investors, organized the Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Company, which was chartered in January 1880. This, the first portland cement plant west of the Mississippi, began with on intermittent pot kiln. A second pot kiln was added in 1881, when the company name was changed to Alamo Cement Company. The tall stack Schoefer-type kiln was added in 1889. Cement from this plant was used in the construction of the State Capitol and the Driskill Hotel in Austin.
Through the vision and leadership of Portland Cement pioneers Loyd, Kalteyer,and Charles Baumberger, who succeeded to the presidency following Kalteyer's death in 1897, the company flourished. In 1908 the plant relocated to a site later known as Cementville near Alamo Heights. The original quarry became the Japanese Sunken Gardens in Brackenridge Park. The kiln area was designated as Baumberger Plaza in 1944.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 98.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is near the entrance to the Japanese Gardens in Breckenridge Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3853 N St Mary's St, San Antonio TX 78212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ludwig Mahncke (approx. half a mile away); Sam Houston House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Tether Wall (approx. 1.2 miles away); M-1905 Field Gun (approx. 1.4 miles away); M-56 Howitzer 105mm Towed (Yugoslavia) (approx. 1.4 miles away); M-59 Armored Personnel Carrier (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle and Staff Post (approx. 1.4 miles away); M-48 Medium Tank 90mm "Patton" (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.