San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kelly Air Force Base
Kelly Field, named for George Edward Maurice Kelly, the first military pilot killed in a plane crash at nearby Fort Sam Houston in 1911, trained aviators, mechanics and support personnel for war duty. After additional land was acquired, the field was divided into Kelly Number 1 (later renamed Duncan Field) and Kelly Number 2. The Air Service Advanced Flying School, which headquartered at Kelly Number 2, trained pilots including Charles Lindbergh, Curtis LeMay and numerous future Air Force chiefs of staff.
During World War II, Kelly saw a tremendous increase in its civilian and military workforce, including women, who were known as “Kelly Katies.” After the Air Force became an independent military service in 1947, the field became known as Kelly Air Force Base.
Personnel at Kelly were significantly
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12443.)
Location. 29° 22.968′ N, 98° 33.563′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of General Huddnel Drive and Crickett Drive, on the right when traveling north on General Huddnel Drive. Touch for map. Directly across the street from static display of a jet fighter. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilber B. Miller (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Kelly No. 2" Flight Line (approx. 0.9 miles away); USAF Officer Candidate School (approx. 3.5 miles away); OCS Class 62-A (approx. 3.5 miles away); Aviation Cadets (approx. 3.5 miles away); One More Roll (approx. 3.5 miles away); Order of Daedalians / Fighter Aces Association (approx. 3.5 miles away); MTI Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 12, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.