New London in Campbell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1940 by Virginia Conversation Commission. (Marker Number K-139.)
Location. 37° 18.101′ N, 79° 19.818′ W. Marker is in New London, Virginia, in Campbell County. Marker is at the intersection of Alum Springs Road and Town Fork Road, on the right when traveling east on Alum Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 586 Alum Springs Road, Lynchburg VA 24502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New London Academy (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named New London Academy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Callaway–Steptoe Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); What happened to Poplar Forest after Jefferson's death? (approx. 4.8 miles away); Why build the mounds? Lynchburg and Salem Turnpike (approx. 4.8 miles away); Why is the lawn sunken? (approx. 4.8 miles away); Commemorating Lewis and Clark (approx. 4.8 miles away).
More about this marker. When this marker was erected in 1940, this roadway was U.S. Route 460, now the bypass a block or two north.
Also see . . . Patrick Henry’s Famous “Beef” Speech. “Mr. Henry appeared for the defendant, and is said to have disported himself in this cause to the great delight and enjoyment of the hearers, the unfortunate Hook always excepted. After Henry became animated in the cause he appeared to have complete control over the passions of his audience, at one time exciting their indignation against Hook, when vengeance was visible in every countenance. Again, when he chose to relax and ridicule him, the whole audience was in a roar of laughter.” (Submitted on May 17, 2013.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.