Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guilderland in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

French's Hollow

 
 
French's Hollow Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 17, 2013
1. French's Hollow Marker
Inscription.
Site of a Sawmill; Clothe Wks
of Peter K. Broeck 1795;
Factory of Abel French and
Tavern of Jacob Aker 1800

 
Erected 1985 by Town of Guilderland.
 
Location. 42° 43.229′ N, 73° 56.758′ W. Marker is in Guilderland, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Ave (U.S. 20) and French's Mill Road, on the right when traveling east on Western Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guilderland NY 12084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Guilderland Town Hall (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Normanskill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Palatine Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Farm of Evert Bancker (approx. 1.4 miles away); Freeman House (approx. 1.5 miles away); House Built 1802 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Henry Rowe Schoolcraft (approx. 2.1 miles away); First Meeting (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guilderland.
 
Regarding French's Hollow. French's Hollow was one of the oldest settlements in the Town of Guilderland and the site of Guilderland's earliest industries. Water power to operate the mills there came from
French's Hollow Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 17, 2013
2. French's Hollow Marker
the falls of the Normanskill where a covered bridge crossed the waters. Industries that flourished included a knitting mill, a clothing factory, a button factory and a grist mill. The last visible signs of the aged settlement disappeared when a new dam and pumping station for the Watervliet Reservoir was built in 1915. The old building was dismantled in 1925 and a new bridge unit in 1933.
 
Also see . . .  I Spy Guilderland - French's Hollow. (Submitted on May 19, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement