Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose

Fort Mose Historic State Park

 
 
El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose Marker (obverse) image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 25, 2013
1. El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose Marker (obverse)
Inscription.

Great Seal of the State of Florida:"In God We Trust"

On the shore of Robinson Creek, 1/4 mile east of this marker, was the site of a Spanish mission for Indians left homeless during the Queen Anne's War.
Since 1688, Negro slaves from the English colonies had found refuge in Spanish St. Augustine. On March 15, 1738, Governor Manuel de Montiano freed them in the name of the King, and later formed a village for them named Gracia Real, at Mose. Here the freedmen would cultivate the ground and learn the Catholic religion. For their protection, a moated earthwork was erected, called Fort Mose.
(See other side)


(Continued from the other side)
In 1740, during the British attack against St. Augustine, the freedmen evacuated Mose and Scotch Highlanders occupied it. At daybreak, June 26, in a decisive blow, the Spaniards ejected the enemy from the fort and later demolished it.
The freedmen resettled the village and rebuilt the earthwork in 1752, and later formed a militia company. The British dismantled Fort Mose during their rule in Florida.
After their return, the Spaniards rebuilt defenses at Mose in 1797. The East Florida Patriots occupied the deserted site in 1812 during their ill-fated attempt to overthrow
El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose Marker [reverse] image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 25, 2013
2. El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose Marker [reverse]
Spanish rule. The local garrison, aided by the Negro militia and Indians, forced them to withdraw.
 
Erected 1965 by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 29° 55.734′ N, 81° 19.513′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Fort Mose Trail east of N. Ponce de Leon Blvd. (U.S. 1). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 Fort Mose Trail, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. African Origins (within shouting distance of this marker); 10 Hildreth Drive (approx. mile away); Former St. Johns County Jail (approx. one mile away); Nelmar Terrace Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Francis and Mary Usina Bridge (approx. 1.5 miles away); Chain Gangs (approx. 1.5 miles away); Gault Street (approx. 1.5 miles away); Spreading the Wealth Since 1900 (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .
1. America's Black Colonial Fortress of Freedom. (Submitted on May 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Welcome to Florida State Parks: Fort Mose
<i>El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose</i> marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 26, 2013
3. El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose marker
- near the entrance to the State Historic Park with the Visitors Center in the background and additional informational panels along the sidewalk.
. (Submitted on May 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. maroons; Fort Mose State Historic Park; Hispanics
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansColonial EraForts, CastlesNotable Persons
 
Visitors Center, Fort Mose Historic State Park image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 25, 2013
4. Visitors Center, Fort Mose Historic State Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement