Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Essex in Middlesex County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Essex

 
 
Essex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 4, 2013
1. Essex Marker
Inscription.
Originally called Potopaug by local Indians, Essex was named after Englandís Essex County, whence some of its early settlers had come. As a part of Saybrook colony, the Essex area was first settled in 1648 by John Lay, William Pratt, and William Hide. Essex was incorporated in 1852, having been long a part of Saybrook township. The village became involved in West Indies trade in the latter 1600ís. The first wharf for this trade was built in 1656 on the site of the present Steamboat Dock building; south of the dock a warehouse was erected in 1773. Essex thus became the main port of Saybrook and remained so until 1871. Shipbuilding began in 1733; the Hayden shipyard, among others, became one of the most important in New England. This yard built Connecticutís first warship, the Oliver Cromwell, in 1775. Many other yards made Essex a major shipbuilding center where packet ships, the first American transatlantic liners were launched.
( back )
Men from the Essex area became captains and seamen in large numbers and sailed all over the world on voyages lasting many months. During the War if 1812 the British raided Essex in 1814, burning twenty-eight vessels at anchor and under construction before retiring. Since the total loss amounted to $160,000 the newspapers of the time called this raid the worst disaster to befall the
Essex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 4, 2013
2. Essex Marker
( back )
new country since the war began, nearly two years earlier. The steamboat era opened in 1823 with small boats running between Hartford and Saybrook, later with larger vessels between Hartford and New York. The Steamboat Dock building, the third landing place since 1656 that has been in use at the site, was built in 1878. Centerbrook and Ivoryton became part of Essex in 1859. The meetinghouse of the Second Ecclesiastical Society (1722) still stands in Centerbrook, and ivory piano keys, a long-time product of Ivoryton, continue to be made today.
Erected by the Town of Essex
The Essex Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1983
 
Erected 1983 by the Town of Essex, the Essex Historical Society, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 21.148′ N, 72° 23.364′ W. Marker is in Essex, Connecticut, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and North Lane, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Essex CT 06426, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hills Academy (approx. ľ mile away); Warship Oliver Cromwell (approx. ľ mile away); It Happened Here!
Essex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 4, 2013
3. Essex Marker
(approx. ľ mile away); Early Essex Village (approx. ľ mile away); Essex Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Essex Veterans Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ivoryton (approx. 2.7 miles away); American Legion Post 113 Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Essex.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Essex Connecticut. (Submitted on June 2, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Essex, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 2, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Essex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 4, 2013
4. Essex Marker
( back )
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement