Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Windsor in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Bissell's Ferry

 
 
Bissell's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 22, 2013
1. Bissell's Ferry Marker
Inscription. This marks the road to Bissellís Ferry, established by the General Court of Connecticut in 1641. Operated by the Bissell family for nearly one hundred years. Later leased to various townsmen and continuously operated until 1917. The original crossing was sixty rods north of Chief Justice Ellworthís house. The location was changed in 1677.
 
Erected 1933 by Abigal Wolcott Ellsworth Chapter D.A.R.
 
Location. 41° 52′ N, 72° 37.75′ W. Marker is in Windsor, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Palisado Ave and Bissell's Ferry Road on Palisado Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor CT 06095, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Fort Marker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Windsor Pilgrims (approx. 0.3 miles away); Founders Of Windsor (approx. 0.7 miles away); Major John Mason (approx. 0.7 miles away); Horace H. Hayden, M.D.,D.D.S. (approx. 0.7 miles away); Birthplace of Oliver Ellsworth (approx. 0.9 miles away); Windsor Train Station (approx. 1.2 miles away); Windsor Freight House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce
 
Bissell's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 22, 2013
2. Bissell's Ferry Marker
Taylor Chapman House 1764 image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 22, 2013
3. Taylor Chapman House 1764
Near the Bissell Ferry marker
Taylor Chapman House 1764 image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 22, 2013
4. Taylor Chapman House 1764
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement