Ballston Spa in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Here in 1800 / Here in 1900
A Bathing Green, Bath House
And Mineral Spring Were
Used By Visitors From Six
Boarding Houses and Five
Private Summer Homes.
Here In 1900
Shoppers Going to Front St.
And Workers Walking Through
The Tunnel From Factories
Relaxed At A Refreshment
Stand In This Springhouse.
Erected 2000 by Saratoga County.
Location. 43° 0.141′ N, 73° 51.24′ W. Marker is in Ballston Spa, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Fairgrounds Ave. when traveling west on Front Street. Touch for map. The Here in 1800/Here in 1900 marker stands beside the Old Iron Spring Pavilion. Marker is in this post office area: Ballston Spa NY 12020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Abner Doubleday (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Abner Doubleday (approx. 0.2 miles away); Malta Drive-In Signs (approx. 3.2 miles away); Wiggins – Collamer (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ballston Site Of Stephen White (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dunning Street Rural Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Col. Elmer E. Ellsworth (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ballston Spa.
More about this marker. This marker is fairly unusual due its different text on opposite sides.
Regarding Here in 1800 / Here in 1900. The springhouse mentioned on the marker is the Pavilion of the Old Iron Spring. The Old Iron Spring was drilled by the village of Ballston Spa in 1874, only 50 feet from the original Iron Railing Spring that was discovered in 1771 and failed in 1835. The Iron Railing Spring was located "in the middle of the street opposite Aldridge's [now Brookside Museum]. The hollow area in which the spring was situated was enclosed with a handsome iron railing." Back in 1903 patrons of the Schenectady Railway could stop here at the Old Iron spring after the trolley was opened to Ballston Spa, and later Saratoga, from Schenectady. Photos show the trolley stopping steps away from the pavilion of the Old Iron Spring. The Old Iron Spring and Park is owned by the village, and is free to the
Also see . . . Brookside Museum on Facebook. (Submitted on June 7, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Old Iron Spring Brookside Museum Brook Side
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 7, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7. submitted on January 25, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.