Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“bullets . . . rattling against our hospital . . . ”
The High Street or “Common” School was Gettysburg’s first consolidated public school building. Prior to its erection in 1857 classes were held in individual buildings, often the home of the teacher.
Like the rest of the town’s public facilities the school became a hospital on July 1, 1863, when Union wounded began arriving from the battlefield. By evening it housed Union and Confederate casualties, separated by floors.
The school building was well suited for the task but the location was exposed to the constant fighting between skirmish lines in front of Cemetery Hill. The result was unnerving, but not life threatening. Pvt. Justus Sillman of the 17th Connecticut Infantry recalled, “bullets . . . rattling against our hospital, making a great racket.”
At the battle’s end a Union soldier, hiding in the school’s bell cupola since being cut off during the retreat on July 1st, emerged to enjoy his first meal in three days.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc.
Location. 39° 49.717′ N, 77° 13.783′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on E High Street west of S Stratton Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Public School (a few steps from this marker); The Adams County Prison (a few steps from this marker); “ . . . in less than half an hour . . . ” (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Organizers of Methodism in Adams County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gettysburg Address Memorial and Abraham Lincoln Statue (about 400 feet away); Presidents Attended Service Here (about 400 feet away); "uncertainty and dread" (about 400 feet away); Field Hospitals - Cavalry Corps (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features The High Street School (photo ca. 1888) as it appeared in 1863. Photo courtesy Adams County Historical Society.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.