Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Market Square looking north in 1880 showing the market houses which were demolished in 1889.
Market Square's energy is captured in this 1908 view looking north.
Market Square postcard view looking south from the Union Trust Building in 1910. Note the Johnston Building (now the Menaker Building) left center before 5th and 6th floors were added.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.588′ N, 76° 52.906′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Market Street, in the median on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrisburg ( here, next to this marker); Prelude To Gettysburg ( here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Market Square ( within shouting distance of this marker); Hilton Harrisburg and Towers ( within shouting Market Square During The Civil War ( within shouting distance of this marker); Dauphin Deposit Bank Building ( within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square Presbyterian Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Johnston Building & Menaker Building ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Pennsylvania Historical Commission Market Square Marker
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,627 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on May 17, 2008, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on August 2, 2009, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on November 6, 2015.