Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alleghany in Sierra County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Bovee Building

 
 
Bovee Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
1. Bovee Building Marker
Inscription. Constructed in the late 1878s, by the early argonaut, J.F. Bovee, to house a clothing store and tavern. In 1928 David H. Casey, the 1918 Marine Corps Light Weight Boxing Champion, acquired the building. He ran a meat market with a “speak easy” in the basement. With the end of Prohibition came the name “Casey’s Place” and the slogan “Beer, Booze, and Bull.” After Casey’s death in 1974, his family ran the business until January 1978. The present owners, Mel and Becky Wilkerson, acquired Casey’s Place in 1982.
 
Erected 1988 by E Clampus Vitus, Major William Downie Chapter No. 1849.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 28.218′ N, 120° 50.612′ W. Marker is in Alleghany, California, in Sierra County. Marker is on Main Street (County Route 306), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 Main Street, Alleghany CA 95910, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alleghany (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sixteen to One Mine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rite Here
Bovee Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
2. Bovee Building Marker
(approx. 1.3 miles away); Stamp Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Forest City Brewery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Forest City Dance Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); Forest City (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bald Mountain Mine (was approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alleghany.
 
More about this marker. Located near the Bovee Building marker is a the C.A.R.P. plaque, also erected by E Clampus Vitus.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Casey's Place image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
3. Casey's Place
C.A.R.P. Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
4. C.A.R.P. Plaque
Clamper Association of Roisterous Peddlers was founded May 16, 1987 (5992). Near this spot, five Clamper hawkers, headed by Walt Walters, after much deliberation and libation, organized this stupendous association, dedicated to the procuring of gold dust for the coffers of the E Clampus Vitus, to further its honorable and worthy endeavors.

C.A.R.P. has dedicated this plaque in honor of its founder, Absalom (Walt) Walters, Jr. Clamper extradoinare (sic). Born in Lownote, Arkansas and ascended to Paradise. Went to the Golden Hills on December 30, 1989 at the tender age of 49. The Peddlers of E.C.V. miss him.

Credo Quia Absurdum
Dedicated May 18, 1991 by chapter representatives of C.A.R.P.
The Major William Downie Chapter No. 1849 E Clampus Vitus
C.A.R.P. Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2013
5. C.A.R.P. Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement