Coatesville in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Charles Lukens Huston House Site
The Lukens National Historic District
Following his marriage in 1895 to Annie MacGregor Stewart of Savannah, Georgia, Charles Lukens Huston had this home built in 1896. The house was designed by Cope & Stewardson, Philadelphia architects who were responsible as well for his brother's Graystone Mansion directly across the street. The home was the residence of Mr. & Mrs. Charles Lukens Huston or the remainder of their lives.
A grandson of Charles and Rebecca Lukens, Charles Lukens Huston attended Haverford College and, following his graduation in 1879, entered the family partnership with his father and older brother. Upon incorporation of the business in 1890, Mr. Huston became Senior Vice President and Works Manager. During his long tenure of 75 years, Mr. Huston was responsible for many technological developments in the plant, including the development of the 4-high 206" rolling mill.
Comfortable rather than grand, the house served for several years as Coatesville headquarters of the Child Evangelism Foundation under the direction of Charles Lukens Huston's daughter, Miss Ruth Huston.
The Charles Lukens Huston house was demolished in 1982.
Erected 1998 by Graystone Society.
Location. 39° 58.88′ N, 75° 49.334′ Touch for map. The marker can be seen from the road as it is close. Terracina, a contributing structure/house is to the southeast or left of this marker 90 feet away, if your back is to the road. Marker is in this post office area: Coatesville PA 19320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Lukens Huston House (a few steps from this marker); Graystone - Abram Francis Huston House (within shouting distance of this marker); Terracina (within shouting distance of this marker); Brandywine Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lukens Mill - Early 1900s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lukens Mill - Late 1800s (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lukens Executive Office Building (about 300 feet away); The Modern Mill (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coatesville.
More about this marker.
The interpretive features several photos and portraits. At the top right of the interpretive are two color portraits/paintings of Annie MacGregor Stewart (left) & Charles Lukens Huston, Sr. (right). The bottom right has a black & white photo of the Charles Huston
Regarding Charles Lukens Huston House Site.
C.L. Huston House was where Charles Lukens Huston and Annie Stewart McGregor Huston lived while he was Vice President in charge of Operations. He designed the 206" Mill.
Located just north of Terracina, the house was designed by Cope and Stewardson (1895-1896) in a plainer style than Graystone Mansion. Its demolition in 1982 removed an integral building of the Lukens National Historic District.
Also see . . . Lukens Historic District Narrative. This is the local historic district's webpage which offers a brief narrative of the former house. (Submitted on June 13, 2013, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2013, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2013, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.