Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Hupp Homestead
At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, this house was then well over 100 years old. It withstood the onslaught of battle from both the Federal and Confederate forces. Its grounds provided camping areas for those troops of the Confederate General Robert E. Lee, under the commands of Generals Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson and Jubal Early, also for those Federal troops under the commands of Generals Banks, Shields and Phill Sheridan. A part of this property was the battlefield in the noted battle of Cedar Creek fought in October of 1864.
The home differs somewhat from other restored pre-colonial homes standing today, in that a great majority of these homes were either destroyed by fire, or deteriorated so badly throughout the course of years, that they
When looking at the house, it would be noted that the back or northwest end of the building is resting entirely in water, also, inside the building there is a 2 foot stream of water that runs the entire width of the building. This was so planned that there would be a continuous supply of fresh water inside, in the event they were under attack by Indians for any length of time. There are three loopholes in this, the fort part of the building used to fight Indians.
The Frontier Fort is built in line with the early German architecture, it is constructed in limestone which abounds in this section of the country. The walls are 22 inches in thickness. The mortar used in laying the stone is ordinary mud, animal hair, and clay mixed in lime. The mortar used in the finished pointing on the outside walls is lime mixed with buttermilk. In the center of the building there is a very large chimney (with fireplaces), the outside dimensions of which are 5’ by 8’. There are 2 kinds of wood used in the interior, oak and pine, of which all have been preserved. The water that is fed into the building comes from a free flowing spring that is just a few feet north of the building. The normal output of this spring has been estimated
The Frontier Fort has the unusual distinction of having been in the ownership of the Hupp family since its construction in 1755. A search of all available land records will attest to this. The Hupp family came to America from Germany in the mid 1600’s. They landed at the Port of Philadelphia and subsequently settled in York and Lancaster Counties in Pennsylvania. They migrated to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in 1732 and have lived in the homestead continuously as of this writing for 236 years.
The author is the grandson of Peter Stover (5 generations removed), the founder of the Town of Strasburg, in 1749. It was later incorporated and named Strasburg in 1761.
The Frontier Fort has been placed on the Historic American Buildings Survey by the United States Department of the Interior for its Archives at the Library of Congress. It is also recorded in the Virginia Landmarks Register, and identified by landmark sign A-20 erected on the site.
Erected 1991 by Frank R. Hupp.
Location. 38° 59.684′ N, 78° 21.337′ W. Marker is in Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Massanutten Street (U.S. 11) and Cold Spring Road, on the right when traveling south on N. Massanutten Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 551 N Massanutten Street, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Frontier Fort (here, next to this marker); Banks’ Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stonewall’s Surprise (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
More about this marker. It is directly in front of the house described.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Application. The application for NRHP offers many details of the history of Frontier Fort / Hupp House. (Submitted on November 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 3,276 times since then and 209 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 2, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.