Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The original Harrisburg Hospital building survived until 1976. Note the South Ward School to the rear in which the hospital was first established.
This 1920 postcard view looking east from Riverfront Park shows early growth of hospital complex.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.409′ N, 76° 52.812′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on S. Front Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Between Mary and Chestnut Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); John Harris, Sr. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Native Nations of the Susquehanna Valley (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Native Nations of the Susquehanna Valley (about 400 feet away); John Harris, Sr., and the Mulberry Tree (about 400 feet away); The Court House Bell (about 400 feet away); John Harris Mansion (about 400 feet away); Harrisburg's Grand Review of Black Troops (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,031 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on November 6, 2015.