Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lutheran Church Of The Ascension
In 1756 members of the congregation purchased for one hundred and fifty pound the lot upon which the present church building stands, directly East of this marker. Around 1772 a nearby building which had formerly served as a court house was acquired at a cost of seventeen pounds and was moved to this site, becoming the first church building of Lutherans in Savannah.
The present church was erected in 1843. Extensive remodeling was completed in 1879 and at that time it was dedicated as `The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension.` The choice of the name is connected with the beautiful stained glass window behind the altar, portraying the Ascension of Christ into heaven.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-76.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 4.681′ N, 81° 5.517′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull Street near Touch for map. Marker located in Wright Square. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wright Square (a few steps from this marker); Tomo-Chi-Chi's Grave (within shouting distance of this marker); Savannah's First Burying Ground (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Gen. James Jackson Home Site (about 400 feet away); Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (about 400 feet away); Printing Office of James Johnson (about 500 feet away); James Moore Wayne, 1790-1867 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Salzburgers. New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on March 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on March 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.