Danville, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The names of the dead were recorded by the rector of the Episcopal church, Dr. George Washington Dame, and turned over to Federal authorities when the city was occupied by Gen. Horatio Wright’s Sixth Corps in April 1865. Dr. Dame served as Danville’s military chaplain during the Civil War.
The site, originally part of a Danville city cemetery, was officially established as the Danville National Cemetery on August 14, 1887.
Freedman’s Cemetery – This cemetery, originally set aside as part of Green Hill, occupies some 11 acres. It was established in 1872 and was intended, as the name implies, for recently freed slaves and other African-American citizens.
Green Hill Cemetery – More than 450 Confederate veterans are buried here, most of whom died after the war. The plots, lanes, and roadways were designed by Confederate engineer, Capt. E.T.D. Myers, who was in Danville during the
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 34.64′ N, 79° 23.406′ W. Marker is in Danville, Virginia. Marker is on Lee Street west of Berryman Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 721 Lee Street, Danville VA 24541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Danville Confederate Soldier's Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Loyal Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sutherlin Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away); Prison Number 6 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Prison No. 6 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Last Confederate Capitol (approx. 0.6 miles away); 750 Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); Richmond & Danville Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danville.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Danville Cemeteries.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 16, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.