Pinckney Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Inhabited for some 10,000 years, Pinckney Island was known as Espalanga, Look–out, and Mackey's prior to about 1775. Alexander Mackey received two Proprietary grants for land on the island in 1710. Charles Pinckney later owned the island and willed it in 1769 to his son, Charles Cotesworth, who became a successful planter here.
James Bruce, former military aide to President Woodrow Wilson, purchased this island from the Pinckneys in 1937 and developed it into a small~game hunting preserve. In 1975 Margaret and James Barker and Edward Starr, Jr. donated the island to the United States for a wildlife refuge and a nature and forest preserve.
Erected 1987 by Beaufort County Historical Society. (Marker Number 07-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 32° 13.767′ N, 80° 47.083′ W. Marker is in Pinckney Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Pinckney Wildlife Refuge north of William Wilton Parkway (Route 352), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker located 100 yards inside Pinckney Island National
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (here, next to this marker); Charlie Simmons, Sr. (approx. 2.5 miles away); William Simmons House (approx. 2.5 miles away); Bluffton United Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Church of the Cross (approx. 4.6 miles away); Michael C. Riley Schools (approx. 4.6 miles away); Hilton Head Island Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bluffton, S.C. (approx. 5.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Fish Hall Plantation (approx. 5.3 miles away); Thomas Fenwick Drayton (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Charles Pinckney. Charles Pinckney (died October 29, 1758) was a noted South Carolina politician and colonial agent. He was also the father of two candidates for Vice-President and President. For four presidential elections in a row, from 1796 to 1808, one of his sons would receive votes in the Electoral College. (Submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney. Charles Cotesworth "C.C." Pinckney (February 25, 1746 – August 16, 1825), was an early American (Submitted on March 20, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge. The Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge is a 4,053-acre (16 km) National Wildlife Refuge located in Beaufort County, South Carolina between the mainland and Hilton Head Island. Named after Major General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, it was established to provide a nature and forest preserve for aesthetic and conservation purposes. (Submitted on March 20, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,024 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on March 20, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on March 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on March 20, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.