Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Buena Vista Cemetery

 
 
Buena Vista Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, March 9, 2013
1. Buena Vista Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Buena Vista Cemetery's oldest grave marker, for a six year old boy, has the date of death of June 26, 1855. Older graves may exist that have no markers on them. Buena Vista is the earliest official burial location in Murphys. In 1930, Buena Vista Cemetery was voted as a public cemetery district maintained by property taxes of the district and is run by a board of trustees appointed by the County Board of Supervisors. Many veterans with at least sixteen of them being Civil War veterans call this their final resting place, as well as several Native American families. Grave plots were free to district families until 1967. In 2010, the cemetery became an endowment cemetery meaning that of each plot sold, $4.50 per square foot of plot would go towards the maintenance of the cemetery and when there are no more plots, the cemetery must be closed.
 
Erected 2013 by Grand Parlor and Chispa Parlor #139 Native Sons of the Golden West & Grand Parlor and Ruby Parlor #46 Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number GPY 136-10.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 8.171′ N, 120° 27.482′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California
Buena Vista Cemetery Marker Dedication Team image. Click for full size.
By James King, March 9, 2013
2. Buena Vista Cemetery Marker Dedication Team
(l-r)Past Grand President NDGW, Carolyn Longeway, Golden Era Parlor #99;
Grand 3rd VP NSGW, Doug Calkins, Arrowhead Parlor #110;
Supervising District Deputy Grand President (SDDGP) NDGW, Pat Riley, Bonita Parlor #10;
SDDGP NDGW, Angela Brown, Golden Era Parlor #99;
Grand 1st VP NSGW, Dwight Dutschke, Ione Parlor #33 (behind);
Grand 2nd VP NSGW, Tim Tullius, Golden Gate Parlor #29 (behind);
Grand President NSGW, Allan Baird, Ferndale Parlor #93
, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Jones Street 0.1 miles west of Hwy 4 (California Route 4), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Murphys Grammar School (a few steps from this marker); Dunbar House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Valente Building (about 500 feet away); Joseph Schachten (approx. 0.2 miles away); Murphys (approx. mile away); Murphy Brothers (approx. mile away); Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store (approx. mile away); Albert A. Michelson (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the right pillar of the gates to Cemetery Lane.
 
Also see . . .  Buena Vista Cemetery. Buena Vista Cemetery is located at 186 Cemetery Lane, in Murphys, CA 95247 and has grave sites dating back to the early years of the Gold Rush era with the earliest known burial there in June of 1855. The older sections of the cemetery have large ornate monuments adorning many of the graves. There are also simple concrete slabs and wood markers. (Submitted on June 18, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
NSGW/NDGW Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By James King, March 9, 2013
3. NSGW/NDGW Dedication Ceremony
Grand 1st VP NSGW, Dwight Dutschke
performing the duties of his office
NSGW/NDGW Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By James King, March 9, 2013
4. NSGW/NDGW Dedication Ceremony
Supervising District Deputy Grand President NDGW, Angela Brown performs the part of the Grand President of the Native Daughters of the Golden West
Entrance to the Buena Vista Cemetery image. Click for full size.
June 20, 2013
5. Entrance to the Buena Vista Cemetery
The marker is mounted on the right hand stone pillar and the Murphys Grammar School is seen in the background.
Native Sons - Native Daughters Section of the Cemetery image. Click for full size.
June 20, 2013
6. Native Sons - Native Daughters Section of the Cemetery
Left marker reads:
In Memory of
Our Departed Sisters
Ruby Parlor No. 46
N.D.G.W.

Right marker reads:
In Memory of
Our Departed Bros.
Chispa Parlor No. 139
N.S.G.W.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 18, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.   5, 6. submitted on June 23, 2013. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement