Lafayette in Lafayette Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Pillars of Progress
Desegregation of SLI
A panel of three judges - Wayne G. Borah, Benjamin C. Dawkins, Jr. and Edwin F. Hunter, Jr. - ruled in favor of the plaintiffs. On July 16, 1954, the court issued a judgment that permanently prohibited SLI from refusing to admit them, "or any other Negro citizen of the state, residing in Southwest Louisiana, and similarly qualified and situated," on the basis of race or color.
On September 10, 1954, SLI became the first all-white, state-supported college in the Deep South to desegregate, when 76 African American students registered for classes, including the four plaintiffs in Constantine v. SLI. Trying times lay ahead. Desegregation was accomplished without the violence that occurred later when other southern schools admitted African American students for the first time. But turmoil on SLI's campus took its toll: by mid-term, the number of African American students at SLI had markedly decreased.
Erected 2004 by Alumni Association, University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Location. 30° 12.785′ N, 92° 1.235′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Louisiana, in Lafayette Parish. Marker is on Rex Street near E.St. Mary Blvd.. Touch for map. Plaque on building behind campus bus stop. Marker is in this post office area: Lafayette LA 70503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Edwin L. Stephens (approx. ¼ mile away); Lafayette Museum / Le Musee de Lafayette (approx. half a mile away); Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette (approx. half a mile away); James Domengeaux (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jean Jacques Alfred Mouton Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); General Alfred Mouton (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. John Cathedral Oak (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lafayette.
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2013, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 130 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 24, 2013, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?