Magnolia Springs in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Magnolia Springs, Alabama
Settlement of this area began in the early 1700ís and was expedited by a series of Spanish land grants in the early 1800ís. During the 1819-33 time period a brick factory along the south river bank supplied brick for construction of Fort Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay. In 1891 the community of Magnolia Springs was established when the first subdivision was platted. The villageís name was a combination of two local assets - the ever-flowing springs and the towering canopy of magnolia trees. Nestled along the banks of the Magnolia River, the village drew residents from Alabama, Vermont, Illinois, and Missouri. Those early settlers built homes and businesses along the main transportation artery, the Magnolia River. Early businesses included turpentine, lumber and mercantile operations. Inns and hotels were established for the growing tourist trade. Steamers, such as the “The Magnolia” brought supplies and passengers to the area. Today, mail is still delivered by boat, as it has been since 1916. It is the last year-round river mail delivery in the U.S.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
For more than 100 years, the Magnolia Springs Community Association, with monthly potlucks, kept people abreast of local events. The Community
Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Magnolia Springs July 2010
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Magnolia Springs.
Location. 30° 24.085′ N, 87° 46.265′ W. Marker is in Magnolia Springs, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Oak Street west of Magnolia Springs Highway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14755 Oak Street, Magnolia Springs AL 36555, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Springs (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cobb's Light (approx. 5.2 miles away); City of Foley Camellia Walk (approx. 5.3 miles away); City of Foley (approx. 5.3 miles away); Vicinity of Salt Works and Camp Anderson (approx. 7.2 miles away); Indian Village Achuse (approx. 10.7 miles away); Gulf Shores Community (approx. 11.7 miles away); Orange Beach, Alabama (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Town of Magnolia Springs, Alabama. (Submitted on June 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on June 25, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.