Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dauphin Deposit Bank Building

 
 
Dauphin Deposit Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Dauphin Deposit Bank Building Marker
Inscription. The structure across the street is the oldest bank building in the Harrisburg Metropolitan Area and stands as an icon to the financial institution that helped to fuel the City's growth since the 1830's. Survivor of several Economic Panics, the Civil War, the Great Depression, and two World Wars, the banking operations in this building were guided from 1840 to 1945 by three generations of one of Harrisburg's most influential families, the McCormick's, and also by the Cameron's. The bank and these families were responsible for the founding of the City's primary cultural and educational institutions as well as many of its businesses and industries. Established in Harrisburg in 1834, what was originally known as the Harrisburg Savings Institution was by 1845 named the Dauphin Deposit Bank. The Bank played a strategic role in Harrisburg's emergence as a major industrial, railroad, commercial and financial center in the U.S. mid-Atlantic region. The building, designed by local architect Samuel Holman, was erected in 1839 in the Greek Revival architectural style exemplifying a well-executed form of architecture traditionally associated with the banking industry in the United States. The bank grew to become a regional bank through the 20th Century. Note the granite hitching post on the front sidewalk that has been painstakingly preserved over
Dauphin Deposit Building image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Dauphin Deposit Building
the decades and may very well be as old as the bank building itself.
Top Photo
Dauphin Deposit Bank Building in 1890 showing that the building has been minimally altered since.
Bottom Photo
Line drawing of the Dauphin Deposit Bank Building circa 1850.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.609′ N, 76° 52.886′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Market Street and Court Street, on the left when traveling east on E. Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Strawberry Square Phase II (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrisburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Prelude To Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Hilton Harrisburg and Towers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,909 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement