Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Southwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bartholdi Fountain

United States Botanic Garden

 
 
Bartholdi Fountain Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
1. Bartholdi Fountain Marker
Inscription. The Bartholdi Fountain was created by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi (1834 - 1904), the French sculptor who also designed the Statue of Liberty. It was first exhibited in Philadelphia at the International Exposition of 1876. The fountain was purchased by the U.S. Congress in 1877 for six thousand dollars and placed on the Botanic Garden grounds, then situated in the corner of the Mall. Moved to its present location in 1932, the Bartholdi Fountain was restored in 1986.

The fountain, intended to be an allegorical representation of Water and Light, is designed in three identical sections with classical forms and symbols. Turtle like aquatic monsters and large shells surround the base. The pedestal holds three sea nymphs rising on their toes. Fish spout water form between their feet. The nymphs seem to hold the large basin, which is actually supported by the central column. Above the basin three youthful tritons playfully hold out seaweed. Water spills from a crown at the very top into the upper basin, while jets shoot from the mouths of the fish and turtles.

The cast iron fountain weighs 40 tons and is 30 feet high. It was first lit by 12 gas lamps. These lamps were replaced by battery powered electric lights in 1881, making the fountain of the first nighttime attractions in the city. The lights surrounding the large basin
Bartholdi Fountain Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
2. Bartholdi Fountain Marker
were added in 1886, and the fountain completely electrified in 1915.
 
Erected by United States Botanic Garden.
 
Location. 38° 53.232′ N, 77° 0.748′ W. Marker is in Southwest, District of Columbia, in Washington. Touch for map. The marker is in Barholdi Park in the triangle formed by Washington Avenue Southwest, Independence Avenue Southwest and First Street Southwest. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20024, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Power from the Wind (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Power from the Wind (about 500 feet away); James A. Garfield (about 600 feet away); Ulysses S. Grant Memorial (was about 800 feet away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Ulysses S. Grant Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cardinal Direction Marker: North (approx. 0.2 miles away); Witchhazel Suhwe?t (suh-whet) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Naval Monument (approx. mile away).
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicMan-Made Features
 
Bartholdi Fountain 1876, <br>Architect of the Capitol image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
3. Bartholdi Fountain 1876,
Architect of the Capitol
Close-up of illustration on marker
Bartholdi Fountain image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
4. Bartholdi Fountain
Bartholdi Fountain image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
5. Bartholdi Fountain
and Botanic Garden greenhouses.
Bartholdi Fountain image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
6. Bartholdi Fountain
and the Capitol Dome
Bartholdi Park Map image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 20, 2012
7. Bartholdi Park Map
Bartholdi Park
Bartholdi Park is named for Frederic Auguste Bartholdi (1834 -1904), sculptor of the graceful fountain at its center. The walkways of Bartholdi Park are lined with theme gardens that present a variety of plants in unique arrangements. Enjoy a peaceful stroll through this urban oasis an collect ideas for you home landscape.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement