New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1859 • 1971
The Dacotah House, located on this site, was built in 1859 by Adolph Seiter and Frank Erd. Adolph's wife, Helena Erd Seiter soon established her fame in the kitchen. During the Dakota Conflict of 1862, Helena fled in a wagon with her children to St. Peter. She is credited with convincing the authorities there of the reality of the outbreak. Military aid was sent to New Ulm. The Dacotah House was a refuge and hospital during the conflict and later military headquarters.
For many years the Dacotah Hotel was a central gathering place because of its wonderful food, hospitality and renowned visitors. The Seiter/Johnson families were the proprietors until 1948, when it was sold to the Esser family. The Citizens State Bank purchased it in 1968 and operated the hotel until its closing in 1971.
Erected 1992 by the Seiter/Erd families.
Location. 44° 18.881′ N, 94° 27.629′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on North Minnesota Street south of 2nd North Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Minnesota Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Crone Store (a few steps from this marker); Erd Building (within shouting distance of this marker); New Ulm (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob Nix Platz (about 400 feet away); Arbeiter Hall (about 400 feet away); Grand Hotel (about 400 feet away); Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (about 500 feet away); Forster Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 422 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.