College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rossborough Inn
Erected 1939 by Alumni Association of the University of Maryland.
Location. 38° 59.116′ N, 76° 56.255′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) and Rossborough Lane, on the right when traveling south on Baltimore Avenue. Touch for map. The Rossborough Inn is part of the University of Maryland, College Park. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “On the Shoulders of Giants” (a few steps from this marker); Blair Lee III (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct Clarence Mitchell, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); "May Peace Prevail on Earth" (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Maryland Memorial Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The University of Maryland Is Deeply Rooted in History" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Engineering 100 (approx. ¼ mile away); Founders’ Gateway (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Regarding The Rossborough Inn. The Rossborough Inn was built between 1798 and 1812, its construction completed by speculator John Ross. It served as a traveler's rest on the turnpike between Baltimore and Washington D.C.; but by 1835 the inn had become a farmhouse and barn on land owned by Charles Benedict Calvert. In 1858, Calvert donated 420 acres of his Riversdale Plantation, including the farmhouse, to help found what was then called the Maryland Agricultural College. Calvert served as the first president of its Board of Regents, and is considered the father of the university. He died in 1864 at age 56.
The Rossborough Inn was a private faculty residence in July of
Also see . . . Civil War in Prince George's County. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,167 times since then and 314 times this year. Last updated on July 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 31, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 9. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.