Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
James T. Woodward (1837-1910) purchased the estate in 1898, and began to revive Belair. His nephew William Woodward (1876-1953) inherited Belair in 1910, improving the estate and adding wings designed by New York architects William Delano and Chester Aldrich. Woodward continued the history of Belair's role as the "cradle of thoroughbred racing". From Woodward's first track win in 1909, the Belair stud would acquire fame for the next half century.
Purchased by the William Levitt and Sons developers in 1957, Belair served as the Bowie City Hall from 1864 to 1978. Belair was restored in 1995 and opened in conjunction with the Friends of Belair Estate along with the stable as a part of the City of Bowie Museums System.
Erected by The City of Bowie.
Location. 38° 58.014′ N, 76° 44.797′ W. Marker is in Bowie Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowie MD 20715, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belair on the Home Front (within shouting distance of this marker); Belair Stable (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Belair Stud Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belair Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Levitt and Sons, Belair-at-Bowie (approx. 0.8 miles away); Holy Trinity Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh (approx. 1.9 miles away); Melford and Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowie.
Also see . . . Belair Mansion. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (Submitted on April 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,628 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on July 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on November 16, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.