Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Dauphin County Courthouses

 
 
Old Dauphin County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Old Dauphin County Courthouses Marker
Inscription. Two Dauphin County Courthouses occupied this site at the intersection of Market St. and what was originally known as Raspberry Street, later appropriately renamed Court Street. John Harris, Jr.'s original plan for Harrisburg set aside this land for use by the County, which was created from a portion of Lancaster County in 1785 and named for the Crown Prince of France to recognize French support in the American Revolution. As the new county seat, Harrisburg was actually named Louisburg for several years in honor of the French King, Louis XVI, but gained the name of the Borough of Harrisburg by an Act of the State Legislature in 1791. The first Courthouse, built 1792-99 when the town was a pioneer and trade center, also served as a meeting place for the State Legislature from 1812 when Harrisburg was designated the Capital of Pennsylvania, to 1821 when the first Capitol Building was opened. That Courthouse was demolished to make way for the second Courthouse in 1860, the year Harrisburg was incorporated as a city. The second Courthouse served the County until the present Courthouse, at nearby Front and Market Streets was completed in 1943. Two of the columns from the broad portico of the second Courthouse now stand at the entrance to Harrisburg's Reservoir Park at N. 18th and Walnut Streets.
Top Photo
First Dauphin County Courthouse.
Old Dauphin County Courthouse Columns image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, February 3, 2008
2. Old Dauphin County Courthouse Columns
Two columns from the 1860 Courthouse were saved and installed at the entrance of Reservoir Park in the city's Allison Hill district. This collage shows an old photo of the courthouse and one of the columns today. The handsome carving on the oediment of the building is now in the Brandywine River Museum in Chadds Ford, Pa.
Erected 1792-1799
Bottom Photo
Second Dauphin County Courthouse. Erected 1850. Vacated 1943. Demolished 1948.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.677′ N, 76° 52.87′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling east on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Kunkel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); T. Morris Chester (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Morris Chester (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capitol Park (about 300 feet away); Strawberry Square Phase II (about 300 feet away); Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
Location of the Old Courthouses image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
3. Location of the Old Courthouses
Old Dauphin County Courthouse Bell image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, June 3, 2014
4. Old Dauphin County Courthouse Bell
The bell from the 1860 Court House is now preserved on the grounds of the Historical Society of Dauphin County's John Harris-Simon Cameron Mansion.
Bell of Old Dauphin County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, June 3, 2014
5. Bell of Old Dauphin County Courthouse
The date of construction of the Court House is cast into the bell.
Plaque about Bell from Old Dauphin County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, June 3, 2014
6. Plaque about Bell from Old Dauphin County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,394 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on April 8, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2014, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement