Salem in Columbiana County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge / Teegarden
The Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge, constructed primarily of white oak is of Multiple King Post design spanning 67 feet. It was built nearly 100 years after the birth of the nation. Located on Eagleton Road, just off Teegarden Road, it is still at its original location, spanning the Middle Fork of the Little Beaver Creek in Eagleton's Glen Park. It remained in use until 1992 when it was bypassed by a new concrete structure. The official contract for the construction of the bridge was awarded to Jeremiah C. Mountz in June of 1875. The stonework for the abutments was awarded to David Reese and painting of the original structure to George W. Akin in 1876. Members of Highland Christian Church came here to be baptized by immersion. There were over 250 covered bridges in Columbiana County, including at least 16 railroad covered bridges. The Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge is one of only five still remaining.
A small village called Teegarden, founded by Prussian immigrants and named after the William Teegarden
Erected 2003 by Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge Association, Columbiana County Engineer's Office, Columbiana County Commissioners, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 49.316′ N, 80° 49.614′ W. Marker is in Salem, Ohio, in Columbiana County. Marker is on Eagleton Road 0.1 miles south of Teegarden Road, on the right when traveling north Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem OH 44460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem (approx. 4½ miles away); Unserheim (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cherry Valley Coke Ovens (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Philip Neri (approx. 6.6 miles away); Canal Tunnels (approx. 6.6 miles away); Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio (approx. 6.7 miles away); Church Hill Road Bridge / Timber Covered Bridges (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Old Town Pump (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.