Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Strawberry Square Phase II

 
 
Strawberry Square Phase II Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Strawberry Square Phase II Marker
Inscription. This block of historic buildings traces a glimpse of Harrisburg's 19th and 20th Century retail development. Restored as Phase II of the Strawberry Square shopping complex in the late 1980's and part of the Old Downtown Harrisburg Commercial Historic District, these buildings range in varying styles and periods with the earlier development falling along N. Third Street with its quaint restored storefronts, and the later more intensively developed edifices on Market Street. Buildings of note include the former classic revival style Bowman's Department Store Building and Gothic Revival-styled former Doutrichs Men's Store located to the left and right of the main Market Street entrance respectively. Also of note is the preserved 1941 art deco and trademark facade of the former Woolworth's 5&10 facade facing both Market and N. Third Streets. When entering Phase II at Market Street, notice the grand atrium space and the original exterior walls of the adjacent buildings. This promenade occupies what was originally Dewberry Alley, a street first created in the early 1800's. Phase II, having offices on the upper stories, has been physically integrated as a marvelous adaptive reuse project with the earlier Phase I component of Strawberry Square that faces Walnut Street.
Photo
1915 postcard view captures the Market Street frontage of
Strawberry Square image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Strawberry Square
the present Strawberry Square Phase II looking east toward N. Third Street.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.627′ N, 76° 52.858′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Market Street and N. Third Street on E. Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts (here, next to this marker); Kunkel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dauphin Deposit Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); T. Morris Chester (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Morris Chester (within shouting distance of this marker); Lochiel Hotel and Colonial Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Dauphin County Courthouses (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,268 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement