San Gabriel in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Bovard - Wilson - Hayes House and Jail
Milton Scott Wilson purchased the house in 1893. He served as Justice of the Peace for the San Gabriel Township and many weddings took place in his parlor. In 1904, his daughter, Mary Leticia, married Edwin Hayes who helped organize the first San Gabriel City Council and the San Gariel Union Church.
Their daughter, Mary Ruth Hayes (1907-1990), was born in the house and lived there all her life. She was a teacher and administrator in the school district for more than forty years. She willed the home and its contents to the San Gabriel Historical Association. The home reflects the lives of one family in San Gabriel for nearly 100 years.
The small stone milk house was used as a jail on weekends to hold revelers from local saloons until they could be taken to the Los Angeles County Jail on Monday morning. It was later moved to the Wilson-Hayes property.
Erected 2006 by Ramona Parlor #109 Rosemarie Lippman, President and The Native Sons of the Golden West Thomas J. Sears II, Grand President.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 546 West Broadway, San Gabriel CA 91776, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mission Playhouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Gabriel Veterans War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Early California (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1776 Overland Immigration Expedition (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mission San Gabriel Archangel / El Camino Real Door (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista De Anza (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Gabriel Mission (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named San Gabriel Mission (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Gabriel.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 8, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the stone house/jail. • Can you help?