Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake Bluff in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois

 
 
The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, March 29, 2012
1. The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois Marker
Inscription. In 1837 William Dwyer, his wife Mary, and her brother, Dr. Richard Murphy, established a claim to the property on this site and created what was known as the Dwyer Settlement. The Dwyer homestead included a tavern and one of the three stage stops along the Green Bay Trail in Lake County. It became known as the center of social activity, nurturing political, intellectual, and religious ties in the newly settled area. The Dwyer settlement was the site of St. Annís Church and Cemetery (1844), the first Catholic parish in the area.

William Dwyer served as the first road supervisor for this portion of Green Bay Road and served as a tax collector. Dr. Murphy, a physician, was appointed first magistrate for the area and as deputy to the Federal Marshal, recorded the Lake County census for 1840. Murphy served for six years (1839-í45) in the Illinois State Legislature, drafting the first Illinois public school law, and acting as chair of the state finance committee. Dwyer and Dr. Murphy were instrumental in the 1839 formation of Lake County through the division of McHenry County, as well as in moving the county seat from Libertyville to Waukegan. The Tavern was the first polling place in the area and the site of the first Shields Township meeting on April 2, 1852. The Dwyer settlement gave a permanent character to this area and from
The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, March 29, 2012
2. The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois Marker
with school in the background
it grew the community now known as Lake Bluff.
 
Erected 2009 by Vliet Center for Lake Bluff History, Lake Bluff School District 65, the Lake Bluff Womenís Club and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 17.09′ N, 87° 51.406′ W. Marker is in Lake Bluff, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on North Green Bay Road (Illinois Route 131) 0.2 miles north of Armour Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of Lake Bluff Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 W Washington Ave, Lake Bluff IL 60044, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fighting Tradesmen (approx. 2 miles away); Base Realignment and Closure (approx. 2 miles away); Wings over Great Lakes (approx. 2 miles away); Great Lakes History Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Women at Great Lakes (approx. 2 miles away); The Post War Era (approx. 2 miles away); World War II (approx. 2 miles away); Great Lakes Athletics (approx. 2 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 76 times this year. Last updated on July 10, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement