Mankato in Blue Earth County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Washington Park / Fourth Street Route Depot Grounds
The mainline was known as the "Fourth Street Route" and the railroad yard occupied the Fourth Street right-of-way from Madison Avenue to Mulberry Street. The timber-framed depot was the showcase on this route. This plaque is near the center of the old depot. Directly north of the depot, across Washington Street, was a freight house, a four-stall brick engine house, turntable and a nearby stockyard. A branch line of the Mankato Streetcar Railway Company also provided horse-drawn transportation between the depot grounds and downtown Mankato.
The Minnesota Valley Railway Company would become part of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway Company, locally known as the "Omaha Line." By 1882, it was under control of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway Company, which also served Mankato. On January 13, 1885, Schuler Colfax, former U.S. Vice President and Speaker of the House, was traveling in Mankato, Minnesota. In order to get from the depot on Fourth Street, he had to walk three quarters of a mile in 30 degrees below zero weather. After he arrived at the depot on Fourth Street,
Fourth Street Route Depot Grounds
(Continued from other side)
The Omaha Line decided to abandon its tracks on Fourth Street in favor of a route along the Minnesota River; however, they did not officially vacate the site until March 11, 1912. Washington Park was dedicated in 1915 by City of Mankato officials, citizens and guests.
Erected 2007 by Blue Earth County Historical Society.
Location. 44° 10.072′ N, 93° 59.778′ W. Marker is in Mankato, Minnesota, in Blue Earth County. Marker is on North 4th Street north of East Plum Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in Washington Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North 4th Street, Mankato MN 56001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Dakota (Sioux) Memorial – 1862 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sinclair Lewis House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hubbard House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Lorin & Lulu Cray Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ho-Chunk / Winnebago (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); Lincoln Park (approx. ¾ mile away); Highland Park (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mankato.
Also see . . . City of Mankato Historic Context Study. Rail. "The lines entered the city in Washington Park between Elm and Plum Streets, running along Fourth Street." Washington Park. "The layout of this park is long and narrow, calling to mind the railroad yard that originally occupied the land. After the railroad vacated the area in the early 1900s, relocating along the river, the city decided to use the space as a public gathering space, dedicating the site in 1915." (Submitted on July 11, 2013.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 11, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.