Wilson in Wilson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
by Dr. S. S. Satchwell in
building of the Wilson
Female Seminary, which
was chartered in 1859.
Stood 1½ blocks S.E.
Erected 1954 by Archives Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number F-32.)
Location. 35° 43.668′ N, 77° 54.314′ W. Marker is in Wilson, North Carolina, in Wilson County. Marker is on Herring Avenue / Goldsboro Street East near Gold Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NC 27893, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. P.D. Gold (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilson County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry G. Conner (approx. 0.3 miles away); First ABC Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); R.D.W. Connor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hackney Wagon Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Owen L. W. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding Military Hospital. The Confederacy organized its Medical Department late in 1861 and within months, in April of 1862, the North Carolina
The hospital made Wilson known outside of the state of North Carolina. Employing thirty-five to forty people, it also boosted the local economy. Most nurses and orderlies were unskilled soldiers; however, at least seven local women were known to have worked at the hospital as matrons. Their duties included food preparation and cleaning. The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad that ran through Wilson provided the military hospital with supplies, including ice and turpentine, used to treat fevers.
Fighting never broke out in Wilson, but, on July 20, 1863, “an immense armament of negroes and Yankees” advanced on Wilson. Reportedly, a group of invalids from the hospital and local militia defended Wilson by destroying the bridge over the Toisnot Swamp to halt the invaders. All of those who died at the hospital were
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.