Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

St. Ignatius Chapel (Building 170)

December 22, 1889 - December 16, 2001

 

—Historic Chapel —

 
St. Ignatius Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2013
1. St. Ignatius Chapel Marker
Inscription.

Transfer of title to U.S. Army by
Archbishop Edward J. Hunkeler, D.D.
July 1967
————————

Rich in the tradition of the early frontier this historic shrine, which was built as the Church of St. Ignatius, has had a great influence on the religious life of the Command from the days of the troopers of saddle, saber and rifle to the nuclear scholar and student of present times.

From its earliest foundation in 1827 the Archives of Fort Leavenworth identify an illustrious list of courageous Jesuit missionaries, Benedictine monks, U.S. Army chaplains and other distinguished soldiers who have contributed immeasurably to this glorious heritage. To these noble soldiers of God and Country this historic marker is dedicated.

Ch (Maj. Gen.) Charles E. Brown, Jr.
Chief of Chaplains, U.S. Army
 
Erected by United States Army.
 
Location. 39° 21.179′ N, 94° 55.22′ W. Marker is in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is on McClellan Avenue north of Pope Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Leavenworth KS 66027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
St. Ignatius Chapel (Building 170) Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2013
2. St. Ignatius Chapel (Building 170) Marker
markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zais Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Old Blockhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Artillery Guard House (approx. ¼ mile away); Elizabeth Schenck Smith House (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Former Burial Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); French Aid During American Revolution (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Leavenworth.
 
More about this marker. Public access to the post is possible with proper identification, subject to U.S. Army regulations.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Ignatius Chapel Occupies Quaint Place in Fort Leavenworth History. (Submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. U.S. Army Garrison Fort Leavenworth. (Submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Forts, CastlesMan-Made Features
 
St. Ignatius Chapel (Building 170) Foundation and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2013
3. St. Ignatius Chapel (Building 170) Foundation and Marker
St. Ignatius Chapel Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2013
4. St. Ignatius Chapel Cornerstone
Foundation of St. Ignatius Chapel image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2013
5. Foundation of St. Ignatius Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement