Quincy in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Quincy Public Library
In 1906 Quincy businessman Charles W. Bennett and steel entrepreneur Andrew Carnegie both offered to build a library in Quincy Township. Carnegie required that the township provide the land and name the building after him. Bennett's only stipulation was that his name not appear on the building. He agreed to provide in his will both land and funds for a library. Upon the sudden death of Bennett's son construction of the library began ahead of schedule in March 1910.
Dedicated on November 1, 1910, this building represents the generosity of two Quincy citizens, Charles W. Bennett and Quincy State Bank president Melvin S. Segur. Segur gave the funds necessary to begin construction immediately after the sudden death of Bennett's son Charles A. Bennett. The elder Bennett wished the library to be built as a memorial to his son. The township was given title to both the land and the building and has provided for the maintenance of both since that time.
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1508A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 56.696′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 N. Main Street, Quincy MI 49082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wing House Museum (approx. 5.8 miles away); Allens' Own Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 5.9 miles away); Captain Moses Allen (approx. 5.9 miles away); H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 6 miles away); Frank D. Newberry (approx. 6 miles away); Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial (approx. 6 miles away); Michigan Library Association (approx. 6 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.