Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
(Now the Florida Air Academy)
Purchased in 1926 by the Widrig brothers, additions were made to the building and it became the Lincoln Hotel. The hopes of the Widrigs to make Melbourne another Palm Beach with their beautiful hostelry, did not materialize.
In 1957 the Hotel was sold to A. J. Rimer who renamed it the Belcelona Hotel. It operated under this name until 1961 when it was sold to Jonathan Dwight to become Florida Air Academy.
Location. 28° 4.767′ N, 80° 37.683′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on South Academy Drive 0.1 miles north of U.S. 192. Touch for map. Note that Academy Drive is closed to through traffic. To visit the marker, approach from the south (US 192). Marker is at or near this postal address: 1950 S. Academy Dr., Melbourne FL 32901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Trinity (approx. 0.3 miles away); Land Yacht Port-O-Call (approx. half a mile away); Site of First Permanent Log Cabin Naval Air Station Melbourne (approx. 0.9 miles away); Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Florida Institute of Technology (approx. 0.9 miles away); Melbourne Public Library (approx. one mile away); Henegar School Complex (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
Also see . . . Florida Air Academy. (Submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida.)
Additional keywords. school
Categories. • Air & Space • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.