Lawrenceburg in Dearborn County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Spirits of Lawrenceburg
Distilleries were found in the Lawrenceburg area as early as 1809. By the end of 1855, Lawrenceburg was home to Hobbs Distillery, John H. Gaff & Son, N.J. Walsh Distillery, Nicholas Oester, Frederick Rodenburg & Co. and John B. Garnier Brewery. Purchased in 1933 from the Rossville Distillery Company, the Seagram's plant is a reminder of the distillery days of old Lawrenceburg.
Visitors can see Captain Vance's spectacular West High Street home which he built in 1818. Known as the Vance-Tousey House, it is considered one of Indiana's finest examples of Federal architecture, and is listed in the National Register of Historic
By the Way: Captain Vance named the town Lawrenceburgh after his wife's maiden name, Lawrence.
Location. 39° 5.709′ N, 84° 51.472′ W. Marker is in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, in Dearborn County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in Lawrenceburg Newtown Park fronting 2nd Street. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrenceburg IN 47025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Buchanan Eads (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lawrenceburg (about 300 feet away); The Price of Freedom (approx. half a mile away); Medal of Honor Citations (approx. half a mile away); Dearborn County World War II War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Dearborn County American Revolution War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Dearborn County (approx. half a mile away); Dearborn County Korean War Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrenceburg.
More about this marker. Marker is part of the Ohio River Scenic Byway series.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.